Sunday, November 16, 2008

Final Thoughts on Lysistrata

Alright so this is number ten and my final thoughts on Lysistrata. Firstly I would love to discuss my favorite part of the play. It was when the commissioner orders Lysistrata's arrest but all the women set up to stop him. The reason I was drawn to this part was because there were three women that stepped up to protect her, demonstrating the power of a woman's force is just as great as a man, but also they alluded to Artemis. For some reason I have always been drawn to the goddess Artemis, huntress and of the moon, I found this very important part of the play. First she is referred to as "Artemis, goddess of the hunt" by Lysistrata, implying that Lysistrata herself is the huntress and that it is she who is fighting for the end to the war. Kleonike then exclaims "Artemis, goddess of dew" and although she is not affiliated with the dew,etc, the connotations refer to Artemis's fertility and virginity, which applied in the play represents the women's fertility and yet they resist it. She is also proclaimed "bringer of light," by Myrrhine referring to her affinity with the moon and bringing light in the darkness and therefore it can be seen that the women are trying to bring light to the darkness of battle. Lastly she is the "goddess of Tauris," which is a place Artemis sent people to after saving them, and so in some ways it refers to the saving of Greece if they can end the conflict. So that is all...I just really loved this part and wanted to share my thoughts in it with you. Thanks...

No comments: