Saturday, November 29, 2008

Act of Resistance/Awareness


On this November 29, 2008 David, Jenna, Naomi, and I went to Bayshore mall to hand out awareness flyers regarding Native Americans. The flyers supported a program called Adopt-a-Native-Elder, in which support is provided to Native Americans living on reservations in order from them to maintain their traditional way of life. The reason I was motivated to raise awareness for this cause was for three main reasons. One, Thanksgiving had just passed and the recognition of Native Americans in our culture would still be fresh in the minds of those we meet. Two, I am Native American and I felt a connection to the Elders of which they spoke since I don’t live a traditional lifestyle. Three, I felt this flyer would benefit those of many different cultures and gain Native Americans more recognition as they are often forgotten about.
We set out to hand the flyers out around 2pm at the mall. When handing out flyers people would look at it briefly and just say thanks for the most part. Mostly just being polite in taking a flyer but not really caring what it said on it. Other said “no thank you” and it that case it was okay, since at least they were honest about not reading it. In two cases people plain out ignored us, which I though was really rude, like its hard to say “no thank you.” We did have a few positive responses in which they stopped in front of us to talk with us and ask us what the program was and why we supported it, wishing us luck. Overall, I don’t think we made that big of a difference. Out of all the flyer given out, I would assume that only one person may have made the effort to look at the website when they got home later that day. I definitely think that those who read it however will have been more informed regarding the Native American and how one can help but not many people will take action. In my personal opinion I do not see myself doing this again unless it was another assignment or was something I was extremely passionate about. Its hard to get people to take a flyer let alone actually take the suggests the flyer says. Maybe there is better way to get people to listen, but I’m not sure. In the future I might choose a different spot to hand out flyers since people at the mall were all shopping.
Well, this was my act of awareness. I hope you all fared better.

No comments: